Tuesday 26 June 2012

On the wrong track


There's a fine line between leaving your comfort zone occasionally and knowing what your limitations are. I know I hate computer games. Can't stand the things. I'm rubbish at them and don't understand the appeal. Besides, I have an 'all or nothing' streak that I have to monitor very carefully. We have a Wii which I only use with a microphone to sing - badly - at every given opportunity (see what I mean?). Last night, my kids begged me to try something they called a 'three-way Mario cart race'. I reluctantly peeled my nose out of the book I'd been trying to read whilst they jiggled up and down on the sofa next to me. A steering wheel was thrust into my hand by the youngest one. I looked blankly back at her.

"So, mummy, you press A to pick your person, then choose your car, auto or manual - pick auto, it's easier, but I don't know why - and then choose a track. Ok, right now press 2 to start the race. Ready?" Her voice rose with excitement. I'm still looking for the 'A'. "Mummy, where are you? Oh, god, you've not even started yet." Rolled eyeballs and conspiratorial 'blesses' between the two sisters.

For the next half an hour I suffered the following humiliations: DD1 issuing instructions not to turn the wheel so much "Subtle, mum. Subtle. Like real driving", DD2 grinning at her sister and mouthing "Painful" as I tried to do the computer equivalent of patting my head whilst circling my stomach to make the cart thing go, power boost and stay on the road instead managing to headbutt every obstacle, cries of "Mum, you're going the wrong way. Turn it, turn it!", and being spoken about as though I wasn't in the room: "Let's get her on the Rainbow track, that'll be hilarious. She'll fall off the edge on the first straight." I came 12th (in every race) despite the fact we switched to the 'easiest' track. Except for one glorious moment, when I got into 8th place. Until I noticed they were watching me, having paused to give me a chance to catch up. The minute they started again I was as much use as the England squad in the Euro quarter finals (actually I have no idea how well they played, I was watching a George Clooney movie on BBC 2).

The best bit about coming out of my comfort zone was seeing the DDs bond over how rubbish I was, whilst still being sweet and tolerant with their uncoordinated mum. And getting the karaoke out after and showing them how it's really done.

No comments:

Post a Comment